Are Lilies Toxic to Cats and Dogs?

Table of Contents

Are lilies toxic to cats and dogs? The answer is YES, but only in certain circumstances. Like with many plants and flowers, lilies are not 100% toxic to your pet. There are some variances depending on the variety of lily and the amount of pet they might have eaten in the past. With that being said, most varieties of lilies are safe for your furry friend ג€“ as long as you know what youג€™re doing. Here we will go over the situations where you should be wary of giving your cat or dog lilies and how to keep your cat from eating them if they do get access to them.

What Happens if My Cat Sniffs a Lily?

The most known cases of lilies poisoning your cat or dog is if they eat them. If they do, they could experience vomiting and diarrhea. They may experience more severe symptoms, such as seizures and hyperactivity. This is why itג€™s important to keep your pet away from lilies so that you donג€™t have to worry about this happening to them.

What Lilies Are Not Poisonous to Cats?

Lilies are not poisonous to cats, but you should still be careful when giving them your pet as they can cause some complications. Lilies will not harm your cat or dog, but there are instances where it is best to avoid giving lilies to your pet.
Some lilies, like the trumpet lily, are toxic to cats and dogs if they eat enough of the plant or flower. If you want to give a specific variety of lily that is safe for your pet, try looking at their Latin name. Here is a list of some common species that are not toxic:
-Bachelor Button Lily
-Coral Bells
-Easter Lily

What Happens if a Dog Eats a Lily?

If a dog eats a lily, they could become very sick. This is because the plant contains cyanogenic glycosides, which can lead to hydrogen cyanide poisoning if your pet ingests enough of it. This condition is called lily toxicity and causes severe vomiting and lethargy in dogs.

What Do Vets Do for Lily Poisoning?

Accidental ingestion of lilies is relatively common, and most cases are mild. If the cat or dog eats just a few leaves or flowers, they will be fine. But if they eat too much of the plant, they can have health problems like vomiting, lack of appetite, and diarrhea.
To treat this type of poisoning, you should contact your vet immediately. They will give your pet a thorough exam and likely need to induce vomiting to get all the plant material out of your petג€™s stomach. In some cases, an emergency surgery might be needed to get all the plant material out of their body before it has a chance to do any damage.

More Of The Same Category​

Lily Reed

Lily Reed

My name is Lily Reed, and this blog is about.... lilies!
Yes, I know. It's a true coincidence, but not really. My mother really loves this flower; she named me after him!
My mother started growing lilies when she was pregnant with me after the doctor told her not to move from the bed when she was 6 months pregnant. So it's been a special bond for us.

About Me

Recent Posts

Lilies Time Lapse